It has been Fall in the bee world for 3 weeks here in Calgary, even with the wet season and the late honey harvest because of it. How do you know when you have reached fall in your beehive?
Assessing Your Beehive in the Fall: Things to look for
– Drone Culling
– Entrance Protection
– Brood Nest Size
– Hygienic Behaviour
Indicators of Honeybee Hive Health in the Fall
– Varroa Mites
– Chalk Brood
– Foul Brood
Overwintering Your Beehive
– How wrapped is wrapped?
– Most common causes of winter kill?
– Ideas and strategies to decrease moisture buildup
– Bill Staggs Method
– Sam Comfort Method
– Insulated Super
– TBH Winterization
To Feed or Not to Feed, That is the Question!
– What is feeding?
– Considerations to take before feeding
– When is it good idea to feed?
– What are the risks of feeding?
What Role Does Pollen Play?
– Pollen and winterbees
Winter Inspection Sheets
Is Your Hive Winter Ready?
– Statistics and ratios to keep in mind
The Biology and Management of Colonies in Winter, Adony Melathopoulos. Beverlodge, AB.